See how far you can go.
UW employees are invited to participate in our ongoing Staff Step Challenge from now until February 28, 2019. Top steppers at the end of each month will win prizes from the Division of Student Life, Rec Sports, the Wisconsin Union, and other campus partners. At the end of the challenge, we’ll award grand prizes to participants with the highest point totals, those who have recruited the most people to join, and the Division with the highest percentage of participants.
Keep an eye on the leaderboard using the button below. Remember, points reset at the end of every month, but we’ll be picking winners with the highest point value at the end of the entire challenge. Remember the one about the tortoise and the hare?
How to sign up
Note: An activity tracker, iPhone, or Android device is needed to count activity. Activity trackers can be purchased on campus at the DoIT Tech Store.
- Visit the Count.It website here. Count.It is the online platform we’ll be using to track your movement and keep track of everyone’s scores.
- Create an account by entering your first and last name, email address, and password.
- If you have an activity tracking app or device, click the “Yeah, I’ve got one!” button. Select your device and log in to your account. (Note: If you select iOS, you will need to download the Count.It app on your phone.) If you use multiple apps or devices to track your activity, you can connect more than one.
- If you don’t have an activity tracking app or device, you will need an iPhone or Android device to track your movement through one of the apps suggested by Count.It. Click the “No, I need one.” Button for more information. Once you’ve installed the Count.it app or Google Fit, click “Connect My Account!” at the bottom of the page.
- Your tracking app will sync with Count.It automatically and update your points.
- Now all that’s left to do is to start stepping!
How do I participate?
This is the easy part! Once your account is set up, Count.It will automatically update your points based on the steps you’ve stepped or miles you’ve cycled. If you don’t want to wait for an automatic update, you can also click the “Sync” button online or the arrows on the app.
What do the points on Count.It mean?
10,000 steps = 100 Count.It points
17 cycling miles = 100 Count.It points
Having a common currency allows people to share common goals, and to compete with each other, regardless of activity. Count.It automatically tracks steps and cycling miles.
When will you announce the winners?
The challenge will run until Thursday, February 28 and we’ll announce the Top 3 Steppers at the end of each month, on the following dates. (Points will reset at the end of each month, but you can win more than once.)
- Challenge 1: November 1 – 30, winners announced Monday, December 3
- Challenge 2: December 1 – 31, winners announced Monday, January 7
- Challenge 3: January 1 – 31, winners announced Monday, February 4
- Challenge 4: February 1 – 28, winners announced Thursday, February 28
You had me at prizes! What could I win?
At the end of each month, Top Steppers will win prizes from the Division of Student Life, Rec Sports, the Wisconsin Union, and other partners. Some examples of prizes include:
- 1 month Rec Sports Affiliate Membership
- Wisconsin Union swag
- Blender Bottles
- Lunch Boxes
- 1- and 3-month supply of KIND bars
- and more!
At the end of the challenge, on February 28, we’ll announce winners in the following categories:
- Participants with the highest point totals over the entire challenge
- Participants who have recruited the most people to join (which will be tracked through a survey at the end of the challenge)
- The Division with the highest percentage of participants
The highest participating Division will win a free Workplace Workout taught by Rec Sports staff!
How do I see the standings?
You can always check the leaderboard by visiting the challenge’s Count.It homepage here.
I have more questions. Who can I talk to?
Questions? No problem! Email Coordinator of Competitive Sports Abby Van Note at email@example.com and she’ll be able to help you out.
You’ve got mail
As part of the Step Challenge, we send out biweekly emails to all participants with leaderboard updates, self-care tips, helpful resources, and more. Watch your inbox for the next issue!