Swimmers of all different skill backgrounds may participate in Group Swim Lessons with Rec Sports. We currently offer four levels of lessons, from learning the fundamentals of swimming to swimming for fitness.
Sessions consist of eight 45-minute lessons and cost $60 to register. All lessons are held in the SERF pool.
The multiple sessions will be available during Spring 2015. Please note that Sunday sessions meet once a week for 8 weeks, and the Monday/Thursday & Tuesday/Thursday sessions meet four times a week for 2 weeks.
This class is for participants who have had little or no swimming experience. A goal for the class is to be able to swim a width of the shallow end and feel comfortable in deeper water. Safety skills and the development of the Front and Back Crawl are stressed. The class is designed so individuals gain confidence and self-reliance in the water.
- Learn safe water entry and exit
- Learn basic breath control
- Learn basic body balance to float on front and back
- Learn to recover from horizontal to vertical position
- Learn to glide on front and back
- Introduction to Front and Back Crawl
- Learn basic personal water safety skills
LEVEL: Advanced Beginners
Designed for participants who are comfortable in shallow water and can swim the width of the shallow end using the Front crawl and have been introduced to deep water. Safety skills; the refinement of the Front and Back Crawl and the introduction of the Elementary Backstroke, Breaststroke and Sidestroke will be covered.
- Learn to incorporate rotary breathing into the Front Crawl
- Introduction to Elementary Backstroke, Breaststroke and Sidestroke
- Introduction to open turns
- Learn the basics of treading water and deep water safety
- Practice and improve Front and Back Crawl
- Learn additional water safety skills
Participants must be able to comfortably submerge head under water, float for 30 seconds on front and back and be able to demonstrate arm and leg action of the Front Crawl
Designed for participants who are comfortable swimming in shallow water and have some experience swimming in deep water. Improve stroke technique for continuous lap swimming.
- Learn flip turns and streamlined positioning
- Learn multiple treading water techniques
- Practice and improve Front Crawl, Back Crawl, Breaststroke and Sidestroke
- Introduction to Butterfly
- Learn survival swimming and diving safety
Participants must be able to float on back for 1 minute in deep water, tread water for 2 minutes, and swim at least 25 yards of front crawl, back crawl, and breaststroke.
LEVEL: Swim for Fitness
Designed for participants who are confident in their swimming ability in any water depth and who are interested in refining their stroke techniques while improving their endurance. Learn to increase speed and efficiency in stroke, while becoming introduced to the basics of planning a workout.
- Improve endurance skills for all strokes
- Improve open turns and flip turns for all strokes
- Demonstrate etiquette in fitness swimming
- Use a pace clock
- Use swim training equipment
- Learn principles of setting up a fitness program
- Learn and demonstrate training techniques
- Calculate target heart rate
Participants must be able to tread water for 5 minutes, and swim at least 50 yards of front crawl, back crawl, and breaststroke.
AQUATICS & SAFETY